Wednesday, July 28, 2021

How Plans Change

A splendid day! After locking horns with Grace Zamora about what I was doing on HER grazing allotment, I went into Magdalena where, stopping for an espresso, I got a tour of Studio 605.

Glen Bigelow was born 500 miles northwest of Toronto. His dad moved a lot and they soon were in California. Then to Switzerland, Germany, Hong Kong and back to Switzerland where he worked for 20 years. He has citizenship in three countries and seven movable-type printing presses. At first he was willing to let me photograph, but it got too late. You'll have to go see for yourself.


Down the street, the sign for the library pointed into a parking lot. Richard Torres was coming out and when I asked if this was where the library was...or is, he couldn't hear. After getting out of our vehicles and closing quarters, one thing led to another and I got a grand tour of the bank building he bought in 1969 when he came back from Viet Nam. Built in 1895 it was gutted by fire several years ago and he's rebuilt it completely. At age 76 he looks barely over 40! He attributes his youthful appearance to work. A heart attack and bypass surgery ten years ago has slowed him down, but he puts in a full day...albeit with a bit less heavy lifting. Eager to get to the library I didn't take photos. The bank -- now a gallery and gift shop, Richard's office and an apartment -- is on the corner of highway 60 and the street to the library. It's an interestingly designed brick building worth stopping to admire.

Exiting the library I noticed a forest road. I'd heard rumors of one that went north into the mountains and further. The map showed it going through Riley then east through Sevellita Wildlife Refuge then connecting with interstate 25. It looked like a plan until....




 




On my way back I stopped to chat with the road-grader operator. He said the road was completely washed out at the big arroyo at Riley; he couldn't get through in his 4 x 4 pickup. And thus, we got back on highway 60 and headed west.


FURTHER !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment