Saturday, January 23, 2021

Judo & Archery

Gracie Barra's dojo has been around for decades. As it happens, we pass nearby every day on our way to Michelle's 7x/week cat-sit. Though I enjoyed the karate I studied, I no longer have the stamina, even if they WERE holding class (covid preempted). But the ranolazine Dr. Marin, my cardiologist, recently prescribed has boosted my energy such that I called Barra's and set up an intro session for this past Wednesday.


Desktop Tableau



I was pleasantly surprised to discover I'm not dead yet. Chaz, a brown belt, was considerate of my condition and took me through a half-hour of light calisthenics and stretches followed by a tutorial in a basic rear-ward fall and recovery. Though a tad over-tired through the afternoon, I was encouraged enough to call today, Friday, to ask about further instruction. 

Instead of waiting at the 7x cat-sit, I've been going to the indoor archery range every few days. It's close enough to the client's home I can get in a half-hour of practice and return within the allotted time. 

A few days ago we bought a pair of rackets similar to those used in pickleball; we call it Swat & Fetch. Though neither of us can hit the wiffle ball straight, let alone "back," (thus the name), sisyphean artists that we are, it seems perfectly natural to watch the ball fly off at tangentials (from the intended direction) and then "rest" while the other waddles to retrieve. 

Ever curious about trajectory each time we "swat," there's a Zen-esque quality to the wait while the other completes the amble-of-retrieve. The game could only appeal to imbeciles. Fortunately, that's us! (Besides, "exercise," as any aesthete will tell you, is an expletive.)  

We achieved a milestone when we sold Michelle's lightbox (used 30 years ago in making her serigraphs) through Craigslist. Artists, as everyone knows, NEVER part with something that MIGHT be used again...someday. But after 30 years Michelle decided its time had come. As luck would have it, a young woman who works at a silk-screen shop had just bought a house and was setting up a fine art studio in her new home. The box, beautifully crafted in wood by Michelle's mom's former husband, found the perfect new home.

I have yet to find an instructor, but am having a great time noodling around on my Excelsior accordiana. (See: Accordion Concentration)

3 comments:

  1. Very cool milestones! That has to feel really good to be back at some of the physical activities with increased energy. You’ve got more livin’ to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to hear the light box sold and you are working out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sale opened up room for some flat-files where she'll store her prints.

      "HHHHURRRAYY!" cried the children.

      Delete