Monday, March 30, 2020

She Just Changes Her Mind

One of the songs Kristen turned  (link is to Youtube video) me on to was Billy Joel's  She's Always A Woman to Me.




The operative lyric was "She never gives in she just changes her mind."

Thus, the incredible improvement that resulted from the transradial angioplasty, plus the drugs, prompted a change of mind; I decided to go ahead with the bypass surgery needed to open the two blocked arteries.

Michelle (Double El) and her brother Steve came down to Tucson for the angioplasty, but it was a long drive and required a lot of coordination on Michelle's part to get coverage for all her cat clients. The longer I've been away from Albuquerque the more I've come to hate it, but my experience at St. Mary's Hospital Emergency Room and the mixed reviews of the Tucson Medical Center were enough help me see how much easier it'd be for all concerned if I went back for the few days it'll take to get the job done.

The transition from having decided to throw-in-the-towel to "continuing" has been one of the most bizarre experiences in a long time. A few days ago I couldn't walk acrosst the Safeway parking lot without stopping several times to get my breath. Yesterday I was able to drive 70 miles (20 more than my typical limit of around 50 for the past two years), unload the car etc. without even having to stop for a rest. It's a whole diff world!

The question that continues to nag though is: What now? I feel like I've done nearly all there is to do, been all the places to see and really decided to do the surgery mainly because there're a couple of relationships that are still growing. But, Vunce again, der 'satiable curtiosity ist revived.

3 comments:

  1. Odd how not being ill changes one's outlook, huh? Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The angioplasty made a huge difference for a couple of days. But I took the scenic route (FR61) from Rio Rico across the San Rafael Valley and over Montezuma Pass to highway 92 a few miles southeast of Sierra Vista. There're a couple of beautiful streams that flow out of the mountains but it was all I could do to walk along them for maybe 700 feet (uphill) and back to the car.

      Practically everyone I know is going through or has loved ones who are going through similar situations. The transitions are intense. And I keep thinking about Brewed Journey's son.

      Delete
  2. Mr. Herrmann, you're always a squidgecake to meeeeee.💜💜💜

    ReplyDelete