Saturday, February 22, 2020

Let It Rain - Kelty Orb II

In a previous post I characterized the Orb II as a Teutonic wet-dream. The description is still apt.

With rain predicted for the next day or two I decided to set it up. In spite of the effort, getting stuff from the tent is a lot easier than uncovering it from sheets of plastic. Last time, in the Mt. Wrightson wilderness, it took 2.5 hours to set it up. This time a mere 1.75.

The two poles that go from corner to corner aren't too bad. But the two middle poles exert so much outward pressure they get stuck in the sleeves 3/4 of the way. I had to bend them and bunch/slip the sleeve to get them through to their pockets. Once they're in place though, they add IMMENSELY to the tent's structural integrity. Ain't NUTHIN' gonna blow this sucker down!


Phase One - Staked corners & Poles in Place



I've never liked the clip-on tents. They seem like the result of a cost-cutting marketing ploy and fundamentally weak. If you look at the heavy-duty four-season tents they all use sleeves. 

I HAD a sleeved dome tent that lasted 30 years, but when it finally gave out this was the best I could afford. I thought I'd be using it more frequently; the plan was to use it as a place-marker to let folks know -- when I was away in the vehicle -- that I was coming back. But the heart attack in March of last year put the kibosh on my extended hikes. I've used it about four times since I bought it three years ago. Given the smallness of my RV -- a 1996 Geo Tracker 4-door -- that's not often enough to justify the space it takes up. 


There are rubber "patches" that you fold around a pole. You then slide a plastic collar over the folded patch down to a rubber stop (to keep it from going off the other end). It's a wrangle under normal conditions. Only a German or, perhaps a Netherlander (You! Up there in the Yukon!) could subdue it in rain or cold. 


Rain-fly 



It's designed with innumerable options, but the two most practical are the vents and covers. The blue fabric on top keeps rain out of the vent -- at top, one on each side -- condensation being, espcially on ExpedISHUNZ, an issue in tents. ​


COUNT 'EM....FIVE guy-lines per side. The middle three, according to Der InstRUKshun Sheet, can go to one stake. Additionally, there's one for each corner, just back from the entries. They too are connected to the clips-on-rubber patches Und Schtaybiliz das tent to mit in an INCH uff yer Life!!

It supposedly can (easily) withstand 80+ mph winds and is/was the prev owner's choice for his trek to the base of Mt. Everest.  But if you're one of those exceptional folks who, like me, venture into THE WILDS and like to be able to handle it "No Problema!" this is the tent for you.

Update July, 2021...
After several unsuccessful attempts to sell it on Craigslist during which -- each time -- I experienced pangs of guilt at foisting it off on someone else, I threw it in the garbage...a $250.00 lesson.   



2 comments:

  1. Love the mountains in the background. I still use my Eureka Timberlite tent which is going on 25 years and 3000 backpacking miles. It probably wouldn’t hold up to 80 mph winds; but I hope I don’t have to test that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brewed Journey!

      I think my dome may have been a Eureka. And in all my years, I've only encountered really high winds once.

      After setting up the Orb II a couple of times I tried to sell it, but couldn't bring myself to accept the low offers. I'll make do...and when those 80 mph+ winds come calling, I'll be able to say, "Bring it on."

      The mountains are the Dragoons; I'm on the west side. Cochise Stronghold
      ( https://cochisestronghold.com/ ) is over the hill on the east side. The road to the Stronghold C.G. is kinda rough and if the creek is running across the road it can look formidable. But as you can see in this video,

      https://youtu.be/fOShTfDSTLM

      it's easy. A beautiful place, but you'll wanna batten the hatches in the Scamp.

      Delete