Monday, November 11, 2019

TOMS

Mike Kelsey, canyoneering adventurer non-pareil, recommends carrying some camp shoes. After YEARS of discomfort, My Hush-puppies finally began to wear out. I struggled on as the insoles went to tatters and the lacing around the edge, they were moccasins, came undone. It took more years to find their replacement, but just the other day, when Ms. Cook and I were in Taos, I found a pair of TOMS for $2.00. The toe of the left one maybe got tetched (tetched - a Southern term. Def #2: mildly crazy) by bleach.




They were at the Community Against Violence (supporting survivors of domestic & sexual violence) thrift store.





Course, vee must not go out innen zee public; vee vood be acyoost uf cross-dressin'.  Das ist ein Voeminz shoe!

2 comments:

  1. It's hard for me to find slip-ons I can slip into. My arches are too high. Or the shoes are too low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I encounter similar difficulties.

      TOMS have NO arch. Last time I was in ABQ I dug some fine olde leather ones out of the bottom of the cedar closet but soon discovered this made it impossible to "slip" them on.

      I've crunched down the heals, but, once awake, pull them back up....so as not to have to scuff around. But it's annoying.

      If ain't one ting, hits uh nudder.

      It's just damn rough out here.....what with all the pointy things, glass shards, shellcasings and, of course, the SNAKES!

      Delete