Thursday, November 7, 2019

Carrots & Cats

In my youth I attended a school in Boulder, Colorado for high-school dropouts. One of my classmates, the son of Vivian Mercier, a scholar of Waiting For Godot, introduced me to the play.

There are many interpretations of the scene in which Estragon asks Vladamir for a carrot. After Vladamir gives it to him Estragon takes a bite. Then, while dangling it by its greens, he comments, "I'll never forget this carrot."  When Estragon asks, "How is it?" Vladimir replies, "It's a carrot."

For the next 25 years (I was 16 when I first read it) Vladimir's answer served as the existential answer; it is what it is. (Much has been made of the homosexual inferences which, blatant as it is, had to be an expression of Beckett cynically proffering a titillation factor.)

Regardless, my next iteration was to the carrot-and-the-stick. As THE PRIME MOTIVATOR, the idea contributed to the naming of my art dealership: IAC Contemporary Art. IAC stands for It's A Carrot. The carrot in this case being: Contemporary Art. It was, for nearly ten years, my raison d'etre and livelihood. It still serves as a major source of delight.

Later I did away with the stick and just saw the carrot as floating in the cerulean.





So you can imagine my response when I pulled into an RV park and saw this vehicle.




And on the back...



They said they had some orange paint and somehow the idea came to them. They also have five cats that roam free when they're camped.

It's a Jungian thing....perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment