Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Decisions, Decisions

Phoebe's head gasket is leaking. That means the head is warped. He said he'd need to confer with his machine shop guy, but we're probably looking at around $3k. The machinist is going in for surgery on his hands later this week so it may be a while before he can get to it.

A remanufactured motor, IF there's one to be had, might be around $6k, installed. Of course, there's no way to know how "good" the remanufacture is. It might, as in some cases, come with a nationwide warranty (yeah, right) of 100,000 miles. Whereas, if By the Book rebuilds it -- while I get a known rebuilder, it only comes with a one-year warranty and any issues would have to be fixed by them....here in ABQ.

I just put $2.2k into the radiator, heater-core and u-joint. At 230,000 miles it's hard to know how long the rest of her'll last. She SEEMS in pretty good shape; she only burns half a quart of oil every six weeks.

Michelle's sciatica is getting worse. I committed to staying until it's better....not that I can leave, what with Phoebe laid up and all, but no one can care for her (which her?) the way I can. Besides, the FITS can't even handle the Ojito Wilderness, fairly mild stuff compared to what we usually do.

It's Chinese Curse time. Fascinating!!

I'll have another martini, please. Dry.

4 comments:

  1. It's always a trade-off. I used to ponder how much money I should put into my aging dog (a canine, not a car) and always came back to the thought that he was my best friend and of course I'd pay $5000 for a best friend per year. I don't name my vehicles. I just want them to last to 150,000 miles...perhaps 175,000. You've done well, a car with a girl name and a lot of miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's a good relationship; she's done everything I've asked of her.

      I'm taking the attitude that she's a restoration project. There's a slew of folks out there overlanding in 1970s and '80s Toyota Landcruisers cuz they think they're THE BEST....and parts are available worldwide. And, truth be told, I don't have the credit or deep-pocketed friends to afford another vehicle.

      Of the other options: a bicycle or shopping cart, I'm kinda drawn to the bicycle as now -- at 235 pds -- it'd be the best thing for me. But it's too intimidating....tho the Germans were cycling all over the Yukon when I was up there in 2010. To exonerate myself a bit, most of them were in their 40s...not 66. But of the two, the bike definitely has more cachet.

      Delete