Saturday, October 19, 2019

Bluff Arts Festival - Day One

Our interaction (almost COMPLETELY conversational) is exhausting! Yesterday we took an EXHAUSTING stroll on the slickrock in which I massaged her shoulders and back for about ten minutes. Later, we moved camp...which, after loading up, required airing down to get through the deep sand and then, of course, airing back up at the highway. And then, of course, we had to DISCUSS the location of camp as she'd chosen a spot right next to the road and what with everyone coming from around the world to the Arts Festival.....we finally moved up onto the bench above the main road where we established territorial rights at the end of the deadend. We were both so EXHAUSTED we could hardly sleep.

After nap (that's a formally-recognized time, altho its specific varies), we went into town where, unable to bring ourselves to spend $30.00 each for steak dinner at the Cottonwood Steakhouse, she got a slice of pizza and I bought the fixins' for bologna sandwiches. 

Then, as the sun and clouds did their sundown best, we strolled the Tiki torch-lit promenahd to the open area by the riverside where we heard three authors read. The best was a recording of Ellen Maloy reading: Guests.

We then strolled back, spent a few minutes accessing The Web on the library's wifi and returned to camp.

All-in-all, a lovely evening.

4 comments:

  1. $70 for a steak dinner? That’s crazy, but that’s something I don’t order at restaurants anymore so I guess I’m out of touch with prices. The steaks I make are cheaper but flavorful cuts like chuck-eye and flat iron.

    I really enjoyed climbing around on slickrock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered chuck eye a few years back. Thumbs up.

      Delete
    2. Brewed Journey,

      It was $30.00 per person for the Cowboy steak, a ribeye, I think. And, according to Jennifer (see comment on prev or next post), a fine feed for the price. But we're kinda frugal and figured with the tip it'd be over seventy dollars for the two of us, more than either of us wanted to pay.

      Delete
    3. I enjoy a ribeye; blue, they call it...lightly singed and cold on the inside. But it's been years since I've had anything from a store worth eating.

      In 2010, Jozien and I came down out of the mtns somewhere near Nogales and stopped at a ranch house for water. The young woman asked if we wanted anything else and I inquired about meat. They'd just butchered their 12-year-old milk cow. She sold us ten pounds at $2.50/pd. It was the best beef I've had since I ate at the steakhouse in Los Alamos in 2003.

      Delete