Thursday, October 25, 2018

Full Moon Equinox - 25, October, 2018

At 12:18 a.m. the moon is almost directly overhead. I've tried to notice where the moon's path is in the sky (did I tie my shoelaces?) and tonight it's about one degree south of overhead and even less than that from the "center" of its travel. It would appear to be an equinox.

I'm camped at the east edge of Mormon Mesa due east of Overton, NV. I'm curious to know how far north and south one could be and still have the sense it was passing directly overhead?

And how often does the phenomena of it reaching the zenith at midnight occur?

And how often does the moon's equinox coincide with it being full?

THIS is what you get when you live "outside."

8 comments:

  1. Do you find it difficult to have moon conversations with people? On the road, I often felt it was my closest - certainly most frequent - companion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an actual argument with the other German over where the moon rises. I mean, if we can't agree on THAT ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those damn Germans! Michelle has, for years, kept a rolled up newspaper near at hand for dealing with them. WHAP! WHAP! WHAP! (It's the only thing that works.)

      Delete
  3. this is all wonderful the whap whap and moon too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned earlier this year that the moon's orbit doesn't align with the equator. It blew my mind.

    Now, the following is conjecture: A full moon rises just as the sun is setting, and the sun rises just as the full moon is setting. So (here's the conjecture) perhaps all full moons are at zenith at midnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does it! I'm firing up Excel!

      Delete
    2. Ah, but you'd have to correct for Daylight Saving Time and time zones in order to know true midnight wherever you're standing/sitting/on your back staring up at the moon.

      Delete
    3. OMG, Al!

      This is gonna give new meaning to my life! And so soon after cataract surgery.

      I'm....I'm not...I'm not sure I can *take* it!

      Delete