Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Trapping and Wolves

I subscribe to Advocates For the West's online newsletter. Today, August 21, they sent an alert about a proposed rule change that would extend the time trappers are allowed to leave traps unchecked. My note, submitted through THIS link, is below.





I rarely post about political issues, but I consider trapping an extremely cruel activity. Please take a moment, using the link above, to submit a comment (ala Horton Hears a Who). My hope is that enough comments will come from out-of-state persons to get them thinking about the global community, not just their local interests. (Mike & Sarah, bow hunters I met in the Ruby Mountains, came from New York.)





Hello,

I am opposed to ALL trapping and, as a U.S. Citizen, am writing to not only express my opposition to this proposed rule change, but to state my desire that you stop trapping completely.

I have been coming to Idaho for nearly 50 years, since I was age 16. Now 65, my partner (female) and I make frequent rips to Idaho from our home near Jackpot, Nevada. We are avid backpackers and wildlife enthusiasts. Not long ago we camped in the Yukon where we were visited for several nights by wolves, recognizable by their howls. This memorable experience will be treasured for the rest of our lives.

The days of trapping are long past. We want our public lands used as habitat, not as fur-farms. Please do all you can to respect OUR wishes.

Sincerely,

Michael F. Herrmann
Albuquerque, New Mexico

The LINK again






2 comments:

  1. Agreed.
    Saying that, i do hunt bison for meat. I haven't figured it out totally yet. I knew a trapper who actually would work his trap line so that the population of wildlife increased. And when you think of that it makes sense. Yet when the furs are only used for the fashion industry, it becomes troublesome to me......Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jozien,

      Thanks for the comment. It's interesting that his trapping increased the population. But trapping seems barbarically cruel.

      Delete