Thursday, August 9, 2018

Lizzies Basin - East Humboldt Wilderness

The angle was steep and there were large rocks; the tires spun in the dirt. Mike emerged from the SUV and asked about the road ahead. I 'splained it got steeper and rockier and by the end of my 3rd sentence he said, "F-that." Anticipating the next move, Sarah had exited and taken a position to help guide Mike through the fifteen-point turnaround.

Assuming they were day-trippers, I was surprised to see them take up residence a short distance down the hill. Their hatch stayed open a while, then they both came strolling up, each with sizable packs.








After introductions, I learned tomorrow is the first day for bow-hunting mule deer. (I'd wondered why there was so much traffic. Theirs was the fourth vehicle this morning and, totally disgusted, I was packing to move.) They'd flown from New York to Las Vegas, Nevada, rented an AWD, and had an intinerary that included Lizzies Basin. 

Mike estimated that, along with his bow, he was carrying 50 pounds. Sarah looked equally well-equipt.

I wished them luck, asked them to save me the heart and liver, and they headed up the hill.

The temps were nearing 100, but I NEEDED the exercise. I spent the next two hours ascending the steep "road" that leads to the cowed-out mudhole called Lizzies Basin. A mere 1.2 miles, the GPS showed I'd gone  only 0.65 miles. I'd climbed nearly 1,000 feet in that short distance and was sweating so heavily I was almost comfortable.




Thinking of Mark & Bobbie and how far THEY go in their rambles, I took satisfaction in how in the not too distant past, a "trip" of 300 feet was enough to put me down for several hours.



It was dusk when they returned. They'd made it to the "lake" only to discover it was a cowed-out mudhole surrounded by cow shit. They'd spotted a deer, way up on the side of the mountain, too far to pursue, and, disgusted by the conditions, came back down. Hoping to get closer to their next spot, in less than half an hour they were gone. 

What kind of ripple effect will their report to their friends have on the Nevada economy?




1 comment:

  1. In that heat, we wouldn't hike any further than you did :)

    ReplyDelete