Monday, February 21, 2022

Kofa - In Four Wheel Drive

The roads in Kofa National Wildlife Refuge are not friendly to large or fragile vehicles. Most ARE navigable, at least to a degree, with a sedan, but large cobbles, recalcitrant protuberances along with creosote and cacti eager to "reach out and touch someone" can intimidate those who have concerns.

There's a campsite a few hundred feet before this short section. Getting down wasn't too hard and though I suspect it wasn't necessary, I used four-wheel-drive low to get back up.


Phoebe is my first four-wheel-drive vehicle and I'm still in discovery as to her abilities. The difference between the apparent ease with which she navigates terrain compared to the experience behind the wheel, is still a surprise.



Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunners on the front. Goodyear on the back as well.

2 comments:

  1. My behind-the-wheel driving a 4WD is limited to the midwestern plains which contain fleeting seasons of mud, ice, snow and 'OK.' The guideline here is don't use 4WD to get where you are going. Save that for coming out. Driving with 4WD engaged down a muddy or deep snow road means you are going to have to turn around somewhere with little room, and that is where you will get stuck. If you are lucky enough to get turned around you have to drive back out on the road that you personally rutted up. None of this makes sense for the dry SW desert, so ignore. You might enjoy 'Matt's Off-Road Recover' videos on www.youtube.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art,

      As you note, weather isn't usually an issue in the SW. I carry a small compressor and have, several times, aired down to traverse deep sand. It's amazing how well it works.

      The one time I DID get stuck was in Eggbert. The gravel in the stream I was attempting to cross was loose and at the midpoint he sank to the frame. I spent the afternoon jacking him up and building a roadway to back out. Fortunately, it was summer, but the water was cold enough the memory has stayed with me.

      Thanks for the tip about Matt's Recovery. I'll give it a look.

      Delete