Monday, August 31, 2020

Magic Is Alive

The angina woke me at 2:00.

I thought it'd only been a couple of hours since I last took my meds, but it'd been three. I took 'em again. It's worse at night....I wonder why.

I picked up Harold Fry.





It's completely ridiculous...she, Joyce, has a vague affect similar to Gaiman's (there's a hint of Stardust)...what do they call it, "Magical thinking?"







I had wanted to return to a lake in northern California around now. I think it was after we parted in the Sierras (was that last summer?) that I camped one night at the far end of a lake and the coyotes' songs echoed the way they did the time for us in "Coyote Canyon." It was magical! And I hoped to hear them again.

And the last section in Cured ( I read around midnight b4 going to sleep)



was about Barbara Fredrickson recognizing that every little moment of real interaction, even with strangers, is, or can be, an act of love.





And he, Jeffrey Rediger, writes about how her research shows that these "micro-moments of positivity" are like stars lighting up our vagus nerve...the connecting channel between the three brains....the one in our head, our heart and our gut. It sounds pretty woo-woo, but Rediger (link is to Rediger's website) manages to contextualize it in a way that shows how her idea fits with the other things he's previously presented.

Then here comes Harold Fry. So maybe you need to read at least through Cured up to Frederickson (p.186) b4 you start The Unlikely Pilgrimage.

But it substantiates our fairy tale. And THAT's what's so wonderful. I was telling Adolph (former CVS pharmacy tech) how much each relationship moved me further along...and as I write this I can hear The Liebestod playing in my head.





And I know that's the gift Walter (my Dad) gave....a belief in the power of Wagner's music....that those myths it revolved around reminded people of the magic of pre-paganism and stories like Stardust and Beauty and the Beast. And you and I went there!....shared that.

So now, at 3:27 a.m., it's my turn to take Jane Einhorn's (a couples counselor Michelle & I saw some years ago) advice and "hold" this moment. As the pain in my chest eases slightly but refuses to subside....and I know....each day I'm moving just a little closer to the edge as, I guess, we all are.

And I think I probably told you of Laura Huxley telling how she disclosed to her son, as she was dying, that she was afraid of death. And how he reassured her (I can't recall which book) that it was as with the baby swallows: that when they finally leaped from the edge of the nest and plummeted toward the ground, as they got near, their wings opened and caught the air and they soared up into the sky. And you can hear the "peak" of The Liebestod" in his tale and the joy of their effortless flight. And I like to think Laura was able to feel a little relief.

   I love you.



Additional Readings:

          Brainpickings on Barbara Fredrickson



1 comment: