Monday, May 4, 2020

What Do You Like About Art?

She posed the question at the end of her reply to a COMMENT I made on her blog.

I was so pleased with myself I had to post it here for posterity....my own, of course.





Although I admire fine draftsmanship, I am drawn more to non-representational work, including that found in performance pieces such as this.



Sha Sha Higby



(I have yet to find a video that conveys the artistry of Ms. Higby's work.)



My parents were artists (Dad a musician and conductor; Mom a painter) and from a young age I was encouraged to look, listen and notice subtleties. As my aesthetic developed I discovered art provided moments of ineffableness ... that "time" between when the eye perceives and the mind recognizes.

I prefer paintings and sculpture (to movies or videos) as they offer elements of texture not available in photographs. Also, I am slow to process and static works afford me the time to "absorb" them.

That said, I was an early fan of Robert Mapplethorpe's portraits and enjoy the work of Richard Avedon, Man Ray, and some of Sally Mann's work. (I have a proclivity toward the female figure.)

Both Kristen Mendenhall
https://newmexnomad.blogspot.com/2016/10/kristen-mendenhall-in-jemez-springs.html

and Michelle Cook have excellent compositional eyes and capture some astounding images though Ms. Cook rarely makes her work available to the public ... except for cat pictures on Facebook. Here are a couple of her videos from decades ago:



Smokin' White Folks I









Bad Eggs In Low Light



Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/michelle.cook.900




But, back to your question ... it is through art that I have gained insight into myriad ways of seeing. I lack imagination and through art have been able, as a voyeur, to enjoy a broader spectrum of experience.

I practiced Uechi-ryu (martial art) for 30 years (now fully integrated into consciousness) 



and had several experiences that gave first-hand appreciation of the power of chi / qi-gong.

My lifestyle as a nomad provides frequent encounters with the numinous (Jungian). For the past several years I've been practicing Margot Anand's techniques (mostly by myself) as a means of further expanding my ability to "notice."

But it is through works of art that I most commonly find unique sensibilities. It is in the arts - visual, performance, music - that I most frequently experience the thrill of discovery; an appreciation of new perspective and, with luck, a measure of sensuality.

I have spent my life seeking this experience and consider myself to have been lucky to find it in nearly all of my relationships (I'm a devout hetero) ... nearly all of whom are, or were, artists.


7 comments:

  1. Nothing "cookie cutter" for me please. My parents were hard working people who were not artists, nor did they expose any of us to the arts. They just worked all.the.time. Therefore, I imagine I was born with the soul of someone who had a love and appreciation for art.

    It needs to be bright and bold to catch the eye, or in my case, dark and even sinister. Not always the case of the bright and bold, because there have been lighter things I loved as well.

    It has to tell a story upon a glance, but a much deeper, evolving story in depth of viewing. It needs to show me that the artist had a soul, dark and tainted, or not. Mine is dark and tainted, ThankYouVeryMuch, so I am drawn to that.

    I once saw a collection in Sedona where the artist obviously had no soul and seemingly hadn't even so much as put effort into the art by much more than spattering some paint and smearing it around. Some damn fool woman had discovered this guy and put him on display. She was wealthy and had also discovered his penis, I heard. I think it true. Otherwise, I would not have been subjected to the regrettable trash that caused my eyes to bleed a little and my soul cry out for mercy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always forget to check the box for notifications. This is so I could do that, because after publishing a comment it seems that you can't.

      Delete
    2. Beautiful!

      It's hard to imagine what might've gone on in their bed if his work elicited feelings of "bleeding eyes and and a soul crying for mercy."

      Delete
  2. My imagination is insane! I see things and create stories about them all the time. I really need to blog all that stuff so you can see it. I usually don't remember to beyond that moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we were in our younger years I might take it upon myself to offer motivation. At this point I can only plead for your consideration. You deny us all the wonder you so readily experience but that I, at least, have no choice but to wait for you to show me.

      Heartless meanie!!

      Delete