Friday, January 3, 2020

Linda Durham

I may have written of it before, how after grossing $50k for several years I went to Linda and paid her $150.00 for an hour of advice. She said the ante just gets higher, but the roller coaster stays the same. A $250k painting'll sell and then nothing for six months; if it weren't for her husband's fine-cabinet business, they'd often have trouble making the car payment. It took another year, but it was that conversation that helped me decide to quit while I was only $7k in debt.

Soon thereafter, in 2000, Laura Carpenter, who represented Agnes Martin, declared bankruptcy....on $25M. Agnes's 4' x 4' paintings were bringing 1.2 - 1.5M at that time (late 90s). As painful as it was to close the gallery, I knew I'd made the right decision. (Years later a west-coast dealer said she'd done quite well during that time -- when the dot-com bubble was in full bloom.)

No doubt it's the collective unconscious encouraging me toward Mexico, but suddenly Linda came to mind. This montage about her house for sale includes the tidbit that she's moved south of the border.

In this two-part interview (23, August, 2019) she talks about her beginnings and career and in the second part describes how it feels to be 76.

Near the end of part two she offers:
"Pay attention to what is already there...to the rivers, the ocean, the homeless."





A short article that describes her vision.



Her most recent, as of 25.Feb.2023, website.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of interesting stuff here. Just started listening to the interview.

    Moving to Mexico or staying there for long visits is on my “think about” list. I’ve made short visits many times, but my Spanish could use improvement so I practice with Duolingo each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello John,

      Happy New Year!

      I got an encouraging reply from Chris Bauer of *Living and Boondocking In Mexico.* He suggested routes from Laredo and included an extensive list of places to see. Here're excerpts:

      With your set up I would stick to state parks and national parks and there are many. If you would like some information, let me know where you will be traveling and I can give you a list of parks. Also, we have what are called, balnearios, they are mostly private swimming pool and picnic areas, many with campgrounds that charge very little, some with wifi and electric.

      Small towns are your friends, they will even show you their local water reservoirs or recreational areas that are established for the locals to use. We have used them many times. Check out on my blog, Bustamante state park, Laguna de labradores, and Pozo de Gavilan to give you an example.

      ...a better route south is Laredo or Reynosa south towards Monterrey via autopista or libre staying at China State Park, heading towards Cadereyta and then to Allende. On the road, there are several restaurants and small businesses that will let you spend the night upon asking. The road south to Linares takes you to the majestic mountains of Nuevo Leon, Iturbide, Galeana, Ascension south to Zaragoza and the famous El Salto State Park. When I say state parks, they are primitive, some with 15 amp electric, but not much else but wilderness and they run about 50 pesos per person a night ($2.50 U.S.).

      Delete