Monday, December 31, 2018

Size Matters

I've kept trying larger tires to get more ground clearance. James advised against the 235s though, saying they were made for a 9" wide wheel and mine is 5 and a half.

I'd finally had to put on the spare when the Trailer Kings wouldn't hold a plug in the sidewall. I was then running three different sizes. It was time to bite the bullet. $590.00 later...


Goodyear Wrangler

They feel like they might hold a plug. But, you know, it's planet earth so there're, like, No Guarantees.


Thanks James. It's great to find someone who knows their stuff!




 Discount Tire on N Vision Way a couple of miles south of New River, Arizona on interstate 17.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think plugs are supposed to work in sidewalls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely you've seen that bumper sticker: You can always tell a German, but you can't tell him much.

      The plug in the Goodyear Viva 3 was still holding pretty well after three weeks. I had to air it up every third or fourth day, but it was holding.

      It was at the Winnemucca Walmart that a guy came (walking) in with a flat. They wouldn't repair it because the hole was in the sidewall so he bought a plug kit, did it to it, aired it up and went on his way. It looked easy enough and worth a try.

      I've since done four plugs...two sidewalls. The hole in the Trailer King sidewall was VERY small, but needed airing up every day. I was disappointed as I tried inserting the plug and watched the rubber tear! I thought 10-ply trailer tires would be more durable. Live and learn.

      Delete