Saturday, December 1, 2018

Nutria Love

Today, December 1, is her birthday. She TOLD me not to get her anything and, as luck would have it, there wasn't much to be had.

I'd forgotten my birthday is this month too, but she hadn't. I'd worn the pink plaid flannel shirt




she gave me years ago to a rag and, back in September, asked for a replacement.





And Mr. Stomach thinks it the perfect enhancement.




There's an ancient saying that god would be recognized by the mole in his navel.





But the thing that truly (once again) let me know our love is boundless is this clay figure. Originally intended to celebrate our silver anniversary in 2016, she began work several years ago. (We've never liked to rush things.)


Pyschedelic Nutria




As mentioned in prev posts, we adopted the Nutria as our fetish animal; their shape being similar to our own. Added characteristics include our shared enthusiasm for doughnuts.




In the image below, you see the iconic posture assumed when "skenting donuts." Pronunciation of the word scenting changed after a young lady came to the door one day selling Skented Candles; I had to ask several times what she was referring to before the light went on. It lends a nicely-nuanced tone to the proclivity, don't chew tink?




Skenting Doughnuts









It's A Carrot (and donuts)



In my teens I read Waiting For Godot and adopted the carrot as my leitmotif (see: 2:42 in the video). Initially, I interpreted Estragon's reply: "It's a carrot." as a Buddhist-esque aphorism meaning: It is what it is. Later, it morphed into the carrot-on-a-stick used to entice mules. My company's name -- IAC Contemporary Art -- is based on the sentence (IAC = It's a carrot).....contemporary art being my motivator.






A funnier bit from Lincoln Center (NYC) 1988 performances with Robin Williams and Steve Martin.
New York Times review of the production.




Sesame Street's play on The Play....





Ignoring all the above, we took up the Freudian vein and recognized the perfect fit of doughnuts and carrots. A single carrot must be balanced by at least a dozen doughnuts. She turned 62. I'll be 66.

1 comment: