Friday, June 26, 2020

Delta On Another Planet

We met in '68 at Spring School in Boulder, Colorado, an alternative high school for dropouts. After a stint in New York City doing heroin, she was on methadone. Introducing me to Jimi she said: "He plays Delta Blues, but the Delta is on another planet."

Below is the link to the song she was referencing. (The uploader has stipulated it can only be watched on Youtube, so no embedding.)



She wanted a child, but I was barely 17 and she a venerable 19; too young I thought, for us to begin a family. I later learned she'd gone ahead, but when her parents forced her to give him up for adoption, she shot herself.

A lifelong navel-gazer, I've eagerly anticipated this period, Erickson's Stage Eight, when I could feel fully justified. (Of course, as you've prolly figured out, I've never needed justification.)  But here's the synopsis und rationale....

Erikson viewed life review or reminiscence as vital to the task of stage eight, the stage associated with old age. Life review can help older individuals acquire ego integrity and avoid despair. A life review, according to Erikson, can help create an acceptance of one's one and only life cycle with few or no regrets.

Joan Erickson, Erik's spouse, added a 9th level.


Make Mary as Much as Possible!




Tolerate it; give it a chance










No comments:

Post a Comment