Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Reconciliation and the Ruby Mountains

After a harsh exchange, she'd hung up on me. We'd been through it before so I figured I'd wait a few days before deleting her phone number. Still, it was a surprise when she called two days later.

We celebrated our sixth anniversary this year and although we've had some rough spots (in addition to German, she's part Dutch), we've continued to be highly enamored of each other.



So, after getting supplied in Elko, we set out to explore the Ruby Mountains. It is beautiful country with small creeks and streams coming down from nearly every crotch. But contrary to what many Elko-area websites seem to suggest, access is extremely limited. Although the entire central portion of the range is National Forest, the northern two-thirds is fronted by private property and there are only three access roads on the West side. After going where we could, we moved to the east side and spent several days there.





Independents that we are, six days was enough. She headed south to scout for further access; I'm heading NW for a while.


6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it worked out. In your previous post, you used the phrase "rough edges." That descriptive resonated powerfully. I like rough edges, but they can sure make the way difficult sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brewed Journey...

    Yes, we have many shared values and aesthetics, but we're also quite different; she's much more science-based than I. And although I appreciate her insight and perspective, we've had to, at times, withdraw to our respective corners for periods of "recovery."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet. Who need it? I'd get a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ART!!! How the heck are yuh?!! I wuz jus' thinkin' 'bout yuh the other day. Hadn't heard from yuh in a while. Was wonderin' iffn youse wuz still around.

    What can I say, man? Certainly if I wanted obsequiousness, but dawgs just don't have the full complement of attributes I need. Yuh know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete