Saturday, December 30, 2017

Myrtle Kraft Library & IronHawk Elevator - Portal, Arizona

When I stopped at the Corporate Offices of Ironhawk Elevator (Raising the Standard) to ask directions to the library I thought Managing Member, Laura Mullen, was pulling my leg when she said they ran their operations from downtown Portal. I mean, they ARE downtown Portal!!




I got the door prize for my reaction.






Kathleen, a psychologist, was staffing the library. It began life  in the 1920s as an extension of the Post Office. After a period as the school, it finally settled in.

The Friends of the Library Bookstore, next door, is almost as big as the library itself. Hardbacks are fifty cents, paperbacks a quarter. I hauled out two stacks for $12.50 and hadn't progressed more'n 'bout six feet from the front door. 10 am - 2 pm Tues thru Saturday -- Turn left at the Country Store; it's on the right at the turnaround.





1 comment: