Tuesday, December 12, 2017

James Joseph Roderick & Our Lady of Guadalupe

Up -- on the walls -- through the end of the year, in Ajo, Arizona, is a show by James Roderick.

On Our Lady of Guadalupe day (not MY Lady of Guadalupe!), Suzan and I were touring The Plaza when we found James' work. It's in the lobby area at the entrance to Art Under the Arches gallery caty-corner of the Visitors' Center/Chamber of Commerce.

Roderick's rich colors vividly capture the pathos that surrounds this iconic figure. But it's his unique take on the gal that makes the work interesting: Our Lady astride a Harley; warming her hands at a campfire; contemplating her likeness on candles.


Approx 14 w x 24 h







































He also has a coloring book.






Roderick has had a long-term interest in goddesses and has painted images from Buddhist and Hindu mythologies as well. 





James' contact info:
phone:  505-982-1183
email:   roderickartworks@gmail.com
Website: james-roderick.fineartamerica.com (both upper and lowecase work)

5 comments:

  1. I'm in Why and will check this out next time I'm in Ajo. Were you at Buckeye Hills Regional Park the other day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Al. Yeah, that was me. I tho't I recognized your vehicle. I was on my way to a Dr. appt in Prescott Valley or would've stopped to say hi. I'll be at Marcela's in Ajo at 1:00 on Tuesday to celebrate Suzan's birthday. Come and join us or flag me down. I'll be in the area for a few days.

      Delete
    2. And in celebration of Suzan's birthday, lunch is my treat. Please join us.

      Delete
  2. I was in a gallery a few weeks ago in Scottsdale called the Sacred Art Gallery. I had recently seen your paintings in Ajo.

    You may be interested in visiting their website as I think your art would fit in their gallery nicely and they are looking for those who do a sacred theme. Present your very best pieces...links on the site on how to contact them and present your work.

    www.thesacredartgallery.com

    ReplyDelete