Friday, February 19, 2021

Are You Still There?

Ah! City life! 



Los Quates Restaurant


It's been ten years since I complained about the neighbor's dogs to the City. He'd let them out around 9:30 p.m. and they'd bark continuously for the next three to four hours. I'd usually call around 11:30 to ask him to please let them in. After four months I decided to complain to the authorities. Not only has he never gotten over it, he's told all the neighbors I HATE dogs and people who have dogs. 

Recently, when out for a morning stroll, I greeted the new resident at the corner who was in her back yard enjoying a smoke. "Did you come to complain about the dog?" she asked. Her Chihuahua -- it and the Pit Bull are favored breeds in this part of the world -- had gone into attack mode upon seeing me and was in full song. "No," I said, "but the racket from the traffic and loud mufflers is annoying." She asked if I'd heard the shots during the night and I said I had, but they were reassuring as they reminded me of the joys of my service time in Viet Nam and "As long as I hear shooting I know I'm not dead." She said the neighbors had said I didn't like dogs. I admitted an affinity for felines, but that I had no general dislike of canines. 

Not long after my conversation with the smoker, the children of "the neighbors" and their friends who live up the street, began asking "DID YOU HEAR THAT?" and setting off the occasional firework at 3:00 a.m. near our house; I took to wearing earplugs and recently discovered these.


They're so comfortable I had to commemorate them. (Made in The Netherlands, it took them a while to arrive.) Once the packaging is gone, I'll be able to return here to find them.

The problem arises when trying to remove them. They come with a thin piece of silicone attached to their central stem that broke off after the 3rd use. The stem is too short to be able to be grasped without long fingernails...which I lack. Some fine fishing line threaded through with a sewing needle solved it. Now, topped with a pair of Walkers Game Ear Pro Low Profile shooters' muffs, I sleep like a babe. 



But I'm looking forward to Spring and returning to "The Wilds."

3 comments:

  1. My neighbor has been in jail for almost a year, waiting for his trial on seventh offense OWI. He is the nicest guy, except for when he is drinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Mexico has a long history of tolerance around OWI. I, on the other hand, lost a close friend when we were both in our early 20s. Vince was on his way home from work -- taking the scenic route through Golden Gate Park on his motorcycle -- when a drunk crossed over into his lane.

      Back when I had money to spare, I'd frequently include MADD among the recipients.

      Delete
  2. Tantra in the Lunatic Asylum
    A rapid story about a young boy's madness, addiction and stay in a lunatic asylum. His childhood love and a doctor that has sworn to heal. The environment of the asylum is expressed explicitly. The reality seen by the use of hallucinogens and the Tantric path followed by the hermits is taught in the form of a story. The frontiers of religion, medicine and metaphysics are seen from the point of view of the insane.
    Book Name: Tantra in the Lunatic Asylum
    Author: Anandi Baba
    Available on all Amazon sites and most major eBook retailers.
    https://www.amazon.com/Anandi-Baba/e/B08PDK1XNL

    ReplyDelete