Saturday, September 2, 2017

Springville Museum of Art - Quilt Show

I picked up "something" from some water (carelessly) imbibed from a spring in The Granites southeast of Jackpot, NV. After several weeks the pain and diarrhea convinced me to seek help. Checking the exhibits at the Springville Museum of Art (through Sept 23), I decided Payson, Utah was the place I oughta be.

This would be the second time I stumbled into their annual quilt show. Although I do sew on my suspender buttons, I otherwise don't find sewing an interesting activity. But the "cloth paintings" in last year's show stirred a quiver of anticipation as I realized I'd arrived, once again, at the right time.

The show is billed as a collaborative endeavor, women CAN (I didn't see a single entry by a male), apparently, unlike men, cooperate. But having direct experience, I know that often what gets shown at a museum is an expression of the curator's aesthetic. With that in mind, when you visit I encourage you to extend your appreciation to Ms. Emily Larsen Boothe, Assistant Curator/Collections Manager.






This is a LARGE exhibit with, I'm guessing, nearly 100 pieces. Although a number are of traditional motifs, I was again pleasantly surprised by the number of "paintings in cloth."

Of course, photos don't capture the vibrancy of color, textures and sheens -- exquisite dimensions of sensuality!

Admission FREE; donation box near the door.


As you enter the museum, just beyond the donations box to the left is Ralph the Rhino. A FINE way to start!











So many photos follow I'm gonna mention my fav here.  Hole in the Wall, included in the Utah Quilt Guild's traveling exhibit Ruby Jubilee, was the only, other than the exhibit itself, collaborative work. Hanging in a narrow hall, I couldn't get far enough back to photograph its entirety.


But as you can see, each piece is very different. The fact that the "ground" worked with them all says something for the group.





Fuzziness!! (Always an attraction!)





Figuration; another affinity of mine.





There's something about dots.











(The garden court to the left)
















































































VIDEO LINKS







After alerting Ms. Larsen, in case she had edits or suggestions....
9/5/17 4:30 p.m. MDT


Hi Michael –

I am so happy you liked the show! We are thrilled that you could visit. I’d love to meet you next time you are in town!

Your blog post is fabulous, though you give me way too much credit! The quilt show has been going on for 44 years now, and I was just lucky enough to inherit the opportunity to work on it. It is a true team effort of the entire staff and quilters from around the state.

Thank you so much for your kind words and appreciation for what we do. Notes and posts like this one make all of the hard work worth it!

Best,

Emily

---
Emily Larsen Boothe
Assistant Curator & Collections Manager
Springville Museum of Art



4 comments:

  1. Oh, my. I'm used to the standard range of state fair quilts (snore). Your sharing of truly fine art work was wonderful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed. I shared your attitude until I happened upon their show a couple of years ago. Additionally, you can tell someone has a real eye for hanging. The pieces often complement each other and others are given the space to be appreciated without "interference." Truly exceptional!

      Delete
  2. One of my sisters lives in Springville. I saw one of the painting shows there and was surprised it was much higher quality than I expected for a small town.

    ReplyDelete