Thursday, February 2, 2017

White's Boots

UPDATE - 5/13/18

It's been over a year and I'm totally sold! Every day I pull 'em on and say, "YESSSS!" They're showin' signs of wear but not a hint of cracking. Nor are they stretching.


The Danners lasted a little over three years. But by the time I'd had the heel taken down -- they were the firefighter model and meant for hiking in duff and on logs -- which required resoling, plus having multiple restitchings where the upper attached to the lower, AND eyelet replacements, they ended up costing over $350. So $475.00 for a pair of White's didn't seem unreasonable, esp since they guarantee the fit.

Not much left of the Danner (it's the right).



The leather was so dried out it was tearing where it attached to the sole. Partly my fault...lack of maintenance and the fact they were too narrow to begin with. To remedy, I used the olde cowboy method of walking through streams then walking them dry. As predicted, they stretched...but Iprolly didn't do much fer their longevity.




White's. Handmade in Spokane with American leather. We'll see how they do. The sole seems wider and makes 'em more stable than any prev boot...a plus for an aging, one-eyed, lizard like me.



They first send a try-on. You wear it around the house for an hour and call 'em. They give you a shipping label to return 'em and they make changes. I went through it again to get the heel a bit narrower and more tongue so my #12 slid in more easily. The 3rd time was charmed; they fit like gloves.







4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I never tho't I'd see the day I'd spend nearly $500.00 on a pair of boots. But time's running out and I live in 'em...or so the justification goes. After three weeks Ah'm thinkin' I dun gots whut Ah paid for...for once.

      Delete