Saturday, August 12, 2017

About a Year Ago...

I was on my way north to attend the kite festival at Long Beach, Washington when I decided to stop in at Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. I took the road through the parking lot, followed it out the back and down to the Smith River. There I chanced upon a 4wd road to a rocky bar. It was rough going and far enough from the road it felt safe to camp.

Not long after dark, while talking to Double El, I heard what sounded like a kitten mew. Figuring it must be a bird, I kept on with the conversation. But after the third time I investigated and saw the eyes, reflected in the light from my headlamp, of, sure enough, a kitten!








At Cochise Stronghold, Arizona




I eventually coaxed her to me and fed her some crab meat which she gobbled down as if she hadn't eaten in days. She stayed with me that night and over the next few days I realized I'd been adopted.

Having found me on the Smith River, I named her Smith.


On my sleeping bag.



She traveled with me for about nine months until one day, outside Cedar City, Utah, she'd had enough and vanished in the night. (link is to blogpost with details)

As much as I miss her, I know she's bound to be happier where she is. She liked it cold and I like it hot. But we had some good times together.

No comments:

Post a Comment