Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Scraping the Bottom of the Barrel

Life has taken such a wonderfully dramatic turn (she's close to my age) there's really nothing that can be written about. But it's entertaining (at least for me) to explore the depths of the mundane. I'd apologize, but since this is more a journal than a public forum, I'll just keep my fingers crossed you're bored enough to leave a sardonic remark...or two.

I'm in the Sierras where they take pride in good food. The chicken is, of course, antibiotic free, Montessori-educated and (it's rumored) enjoyed a vibrant social life replete with multiple roosters to choose from. Interestingly, you can taste the diff.

Bu there's the little matter of the napkin that comes under the meat. In this case it looked very similar to salmon roe. Any idea what it is?



2 comments:

  1. It looks like it's just silica gel (similar to the little packs that come in shoe boxes) for absorbing meat juices. It should not be eaten but I don't think it will kill you.

    Enjoying the site- safe travels.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony, Well heck! I was hoping it was a fine caviar included like the "prizes" in Cracker Jack caramel-coated popcorn.

    ReplyDelete