Friday, July 29, 2016

Early Risers

In spite of the magnificence of Capitol Reef National Park the heat was too much. I pulled into a picnic area with pit toilet at 9,845' in the Fishlake National Forest. It was Friday evening and several HUGE 5th wheels went by, but I had no suspicions of what was to come. 

I'd done my business and was contemplating coffee when the first ATVs arrived. There's plenty of room here but they parked about 75 feet before strolling down to gaze at the map and pit toilet. Soon others arrived. Then more. It was barely 8:15 a.m. and you'd have thought a gaggle of geese had landed. I put the coffee together and puttered about wondering wha'sup. I knew they had a sense of humor as the the short-legged terrier, a dust mop with feet, was called Bear.

Eventually I hit on an idea. With my night's-worth pee-bottle (2.63L Simply Orange juice) in hand, I headed for the head. As I neared, one of the women said Good Morning. I returned the greeting then squatted to greet the dogs, the terrier and a German Shepherd who came over to check me out. I removed the lid and while the Shepherd showed his disdain, the terrier, keeping a safe distance, politely declined. 

I asked, "You all here for a convention?" A guy responded with "You'd think so...Alcoholics Anonymous." Not sure if he was joking I asked if they were waiting for me to leave. They sounded sincere when they said no so as I turned toward my destination, I said, "Well, I'm about to take my weekly bath so if any of you are offended by obesity you may wanna avert your eyes.

You'd uh tho't I'd said plague. By the time I emerged the conversations were wrapped and they wuz climbin' aboard they's machines. I chided two women who were heading the pack with, "Aren't you gonna stick 'round? I'm almost up to a D cup." They didn't bother to respond and in less than four shakes of a wet weanie I was alone. 

About a half hour later I heard shots in the distance. It was the encouragement I needed to get out my bow and error and have some target practice too. I find it hard to believe folks get up to drive and shoot before 9:00 a.m. And on a Saturday, no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment