Friday, July 29, 2016

Early Risers

In spite of the magnificence of Capitol Reef National Park the heat was too much. I pulled into a picnic area with pit toilet at 9,845' in the Fishlake National Forest. It was Friday evening and several HUGE 5th wheels went by, but I had no suspicions of what was to come. 

In the morning, after bidness and whilst contemplating coffee, the first ATVs arrived. There's plenty of room here so I sat, mystified, as they parked a mere 75 feet away, forming a huddle to gaze at a map and the pit toilet. Soon others arrived; then more! It was barely 8:15 a.m. and you'd have thought a gaggle of geese had landed.

I put the coffee together and puttered about wondering wha'sup. I knew they had a sense of humor as the the short-legged terrier, a dust mop with feet, was called Bear.

Eventually I hit on an idea. With my night's-worth-of-pee bottle (2.63L Simply Orange juice) in hand, I headed for the head. As I neared, one of the women said Good Morning. I returned the greeting then squatted to greet the dogs, the terrier and a German Shepherd who came over to check me out. I removed the lid and while the Shepherd showed his disdain, the terrier, keeping a safe distance, politely declined. 

I asked, "You all here for a convention?" A guy responded with "You'd think so...Alcoholics Anonymous." Not sure if he was joking I asked if they were waiting for me to leave. They sounded sincere when they said no so as I turned toward my destination, I said, "Well, I'm about to take my weekly bath so if any of you are offended by obesity you may wanna avert your eyes.

You'd uh tho't I'd yelled Plague! By the time I emerged the conversations were wrapped and they wuz climbin' aboard they's machines. I chided two women who were heading the pack with, "Aren't you gonna stick 'round? I'm almost up to a D cup." They didn't bother to respond and in less than four shakes of a wet weanie I was alone. 

About a half hour later I heard shots in the distance. It was the encouragement I needed to get out my bow and error and have some target practice too. I find it hard to believe folks get up to drive and shoot before 9:00 a.m. And on a Saturday, no less.




No comments:

Post a Comment